After four and a half months, I finally bit the bullet and did it. Gathered my resolve, wits, juice boxes, suckers and a grande Peppermint Mocha and went for it. Now lest people think I was headed for some crazy car trip - allow me to burst your bubble. It's waaay scarier than that. Drew, Anna and I were off to visit the one known (at least to me) drivers license center in the county, in order for one half of the Stigall parenting team to be recognized as as an official, legal, driving resident of the state of Pennsylvania.
I have never had much luck with DMV's. The last time I attempted this I had to renew my Missouri license,I had all three kids with me, all necessary documents and after an hour wait in line, complete with a baby in a carrier, and two very loud, active toddlers, I was informed I had the wrong birth certificate. Major problem cause the license was about to expire and if memory serves me, I was about to travel (albeit driving) back home and felt pretty confident a current license would be useful. Which became an even bigger problem when I started searching online through the Illinios for the most efficient way to get a birth certificate and after no luck, just decided to get the birth certificate while in Illinois for a visit. Fast forward to the Vital Records people only being able to find some weird, abbreviated version of this important document (it contains three lines of info, as opposed to my sister's and husband's birth certificates, which e each contain a page filled with info).....but I took it, paid for it and hoped that it would work. And back to the Missouri license center for attempt #2. The very unfriendly, stern state employee was not a fan of said birth certificate but I helpfully pointed out (about 5 times) the official seal of Cook County, IL. And was allowed to leave as a valid driving resident of Missouri.
So I had very little confidence or positive thoughts running through my brain about this adventure I was off on. The only input from my darling, ever-so-helpful husband was "Good luck...I can't imagine what a pain it will be" and "I'll just wait until you get yours" so enthusiasm was low. The kids and I had a heart to heart chat in the parking lot where I let them know I was not above dumping out all Halloween candy in the trash if they misbehaved, had Daddy on speed dial, and dammit, they WERE going to behave, then I grabbed all identifying proof-of-residence documents I had and marched in to that office, ready to drip sugar sweet helplessness or smart ass attitude...whatever works, right? And had, by far, my most pleasant experience in a place of business EVER.
No lie. Up until now, the only state run office my children behave in is the liquor store - cause they get suckers. I walk out with a case of beer, they walk out with sugar. It's win-win. And today, my darling angels listened to me, used their manners, were polite to the woman helping me, and she was friendly and talkative with me as well. I thought I heard Twilight Zone music playing in the background, but that could be me. There wasn't a single bit of attitude - from anyone. Which, frankly, out here, is an accomplishment all on its own. There wasn't a single eye roll or huffing of breath. Just good, old fashioned manners on the part of everyone, myself included. I was stunned when the woman, I think her name was Jessica, said "You are a great mom." I did a total double take, said thank you and then she followed it up with "And you have great kids. So many parents come in here and act like they don't care what their kids do. You should teach classes." At that I laughed out loud and told her I was hardly a role model; after all, there was the bribery/threatening talk I had in the parking lot earlier. But still, as a mom, those are moments I treasure and thank God for. I do have great kids, but they can be holy terrors and I've been known to dive into the vodka/beer/wine/whatever's handy around noon- cause there are days that are just that HARD. But nonetheless... it was a sweet reminder of why I do what I do, day after day.
So then I strolled over to take the picture, which did not turn out half bad, if I do say so myself, and got registered to vote. Surprisingly, I had to officially declare my political party affiliation...I think unknown was a choice, but I couldn't justify that, so I clicked on Republican with a small anount of pride and only had one short, choked up, catch my breath moment - when the picture taker lady handed me my temp license and said "Welcome to PA." Bittersweet....but since it felt like I was in some whole new dimension this morning...it just seemed to fit.
So now, I can drive legally in Pennsylvania, I added one more one more registered Republican voter to the state and walked out with two sweet little angels, one in each hand. It is definitely official.... life feels pretty good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment