Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Zumba Time

About three and a half years ago I attempted a workout class - I picked it solely because it was geared to new moms and their babies...In fact I am pretty sure it was called Baby Boot Camp or some catchy name like that. Long story short - I left the 2nd class in tears, vowing never EVER to return. However, three years of eating and drinking what I wanted left me unhappy with my size. I've worked out off and on for the last year and after moving here, decided enough was enough and joined our local YMCA to use the gym... people were nice, I have free daycare included in my family membership (a HUGE bonus) and there are people of all ages and sizes running around there - makes it easy for me to shut down negative thoughts I generally find myself engaging in. I'd periodically workout, walk the outside track and occaionally entertain the thought of joining a class.

Then I decided one day to try Zumba -I LOVED the infomercials I had seen (while on the couch with a plate of snacks, I'm sure) and tried the class once over a year ago. So I headed to Zumba Gold - and found it was full of (extrememly nice and funny) senior ladies, and a man named Lou. I loved it, had a blast, but realized I was not getting quite the workout I needed. I've mainly stuck to the treadmill and the weight machine in the gym (I despise the ellipticals - I envision myself maybe trying those AFTER I get in shape). I was super motivated Monday and enthusiastically punched the speed key to 5 - I don't know exactly what that means, except that I had to run -fairly quickly. I did a 30 minute workout on the treadmill, with three different minutes where I ran. While I loathe the running, I felt good enough to do the full circuit of weights and then head home to collapse. After that awesome workout I decided it was on to real Zumba today - no elderly ladies, no slow pace, non-bouncy Zumba.

I headed in, equipped with my bottle of water and was greeted by the bounciest, perkiest, most enthusiastic instructor I have ever encountered. In fact, I am pretty sure that it was Cheri Oteri...bangs, hair pulled back in a headband, and she hopped around from person to person, talked in a voice that was super excited and damn near shouting. I honestly looked around for Will Ferrell to make an appearance. Think
SNL Cheerleader sketches from years past... because that is who led my class today. Her five foot little body gyrated and skipped from side to side non stop - AFTER telling everyone she wasn't in her best form since she'd been up since 3 with a headachy child. WHAAAAAT? But it was when she welcomed new people to the class that I nearly lost it laughing. She asked who was a first timer and I, along with another lady, tentatively raised my hand. I swear she flew straight over to me, shouted out a few welcome type sentences then said with complete seriousness, while head bobbing, shouting and pointing at everyone, "I have one rule ladies.... we make it FUN FUN FUN." The rest of the class started clapping and cheering right along with her. She then danced herself back to the front and the next hour was filled with hip hop Latin dancing that sincerely kicked my booty.

While I couldn't keep up with the footwork at times, I danced to my little heart's content, feeling at times like I was on the floor of a dance club and then other songs felt like I was on a tropical island. Currently at this moment I can't really feel my legs and I have to keep stretching my arms up high to keep them from getting stiff, so it's obviously a blessing I have a bottle of wine to enjoy tonight!! Best part for me....I cannot wait to go back!!

1 comment:

  1. I love Zumba, too. I giggle through most of the class and tend to be at least two steps behind, but it's so much fun that you forget you are working out. And I just figure that everyone is so busy trying to pay attention to their own moves that nobody has enough time to laugh at me!

    ReplyDelete